Strong glutes aka ‘buns of steel’ not only look good but also indicate a strong back and abs. Most of the exercises that activate your booty muscles also help to build and strengthen your abs and back.
Exercises that help to tone your butt also help to improve your balance and stability which will allow you to push yourself further during your workouts.
If you’re following a booty workout that isn’t producing any results, it could be that the exercises are not targeting the right muscles.
Choose one or more of the booty workouts given below based on your current fitness levels and the exercise equipment you own.
8 Best Butt Workouts For Women
1. Butt Workout For Beginners
You might be eager to start your booty workout but it’s important to start slow and gradually increase the intensity of your workouts.
This is especially important if you are a beginner as pushing yourself too far can result in a painful tear in one of these muscles.
A combination of the wall bridge, reverse plank and squats is the ideal butt workout for female beginners. Aim for 1 set of 6 reps for each of these exercises:
- To do the wall bridge exercise: lie on your back with your arms at your sides and the soles of your feet flat against a wall with your knees bent at a 90-degree angle. Tighten your butt and raise your hips as high as possible. Hold this position for 10 seconds and return to your starting position.
- To do the reverse plank: sit on the ground with your feet outstretched and prop yourself up on your hands, while keeping your elbows in line with your shoulders. Hold this position for 5-10 seconds before returning to your original position.
- To do squats: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your hands extended straight out in front of you. Lower yourself until your thighs are parallel to the floor and hold this position for 3-5 seconds before returning to your starting position.
2. 5-Min Butt Workout
One of the main reasons people skip their daily exercise routine is because they feel that they don’t have the time for it.
Even on days when you can’t make it for your gym workout, you can do a 5-minute booty workout at home to help you stay in shape.
Your 5 minute booty workout should consist of:
- 1 minute of side lunges (switch sides after 30 seconds) see video
- 3 minutes of the single-leg glute bridge (switch sides after 30 seconds) see vide0
- 1 minute of sumo squats (see video)
3. Butt Workout With Resistance Bands
As the name suggests, resistance bands provide external resistance during an exercise which forces your muscles to work harder.
Using a resistance band during a booty workout will increase muscle mass, resulting in a bigger and tighter butt.
Your booty workout with resistance bands should consist of:
- Banded Clam Shell (see more video)
- Banded Donkey Kick (see more video)
- Banded Plank Jacks (see more video)
4. Butt Workout With Ankle Weights
Ankle weights are perfect for people who are happy with their workout but are simply looking to up the ante a little.
You can use 5 or 10 pound ankle weights while doing your booty workout as this will help to target your glutes and fix a flat butt.
Booty exercises such as hamstring curls, butt lifts and leg lifts will be considerably tougher when you’re using ankle weights. If this is your first time using them, it’s best to start with 5 pound weights.
5. Butt Workout With Dumbbells
Dumbbells are a great way to burn more calories, improve flexibility and enhance lean mass.
Dumbbells are the perfect option for women who want to start strength training as they provide an equal load to both sides of the body (unilateral training).
Your booty workout with dumbbells should consist of:
- Dumbbell Deadlifts (see more)
- Dumbbell Lateral Lunges (see more)
- Dumbbell Foot-on-box Lungesnges (see more)
Invest in good dumbbells and maintain good posture as slumping while you do these exercises can result in injuries.
6. Butt Workout With A Medicine Ball
Exercises like squats and lunges do not require equipment and provide excellent results. Studies show that a medicine ball will make your workout more challenging but it also offers better results.
A medicine ball is heavy enough to add resistance to your workouts but it will also allow you to move quickly which increases the number of calories you burn.
When choosing a medicine ball, don’t opt for the heaviest one as you won’t be able to move quickly.
Your booty workout should include exercises such as the bridge with medicine ball squeeze, the side leg bridge and the lunge drop.
If you haven’t been regular with your workouts, you should start with a lower-intensity workout before adding a medicine ball to your routine.
7. Butt Workout With A Kettlebell
The kettlebell has an off-set center of gravity which means that your muscles have to work harder to control your movements.
A Kettlebell butt workout will give you a toned and sculpted booty as well as improve your overall strength and core power.
Your booty workout with a Kettlebell should consist of:
- Kettlebell Goblet Squat (tip: your knees should bend 90 degrees to keep the focus on your glutes and not your thighs)
- Kettlebell Single Arm Deadlift (tip: keep your weight on your heels and not the balls of your feet)
- Kettlebell Swing with both hands (tip: your hips should do the work, not your shoulders and arms)
8. Butt Workout With A Barbell
A booty workout with a barbell can be absolutely brutal but it strengthens the gluteal muscles to give your tush a higher, rounder look.
Poor posture can drastically increase the risk of injury which is why barbell workouts are better suited to people with mid to high levels of physical fitness.
Your booty workout with a Barbell should consist of:
- Curtsy Lunge (aim for 3 sets of 8–10 reps )
- Single Leg Deadlift (aim for 2–3 sets of 4–6 reps per side)
- Barbell Hip Thrust (aim for anywhere between 3–4 sets of 6–10 reps)
People with chronic conditions like fibromyalgia can and should continue to exercise as this will help to reduce fibromyalgia symptoms.
It is important to talk to your doctor before you start a new workout.